The Thanksgiving holiday season should be a time of good food, good company, and good fun. Don’t let this celebration get ruined by an emergency visit to the vet.
Here are six ways to keep your pet safe and happy:
Come Up With a Safety Plan
Check that your pet’s in good health ahead of time. Decide if you need to keep your pet in (or out of) a certain room for their safety. Make sure you know the number and address for a 24/7 emergency clinic, in case there’s a problem.
Keep Your Thanksgiving Feast For the Humans
Is your pet right beside the dining table, begging for scraps? Unfortunately, a lot of the food that humans enjoy so much over Thanksgiving is dangerous or even toxic to dogs and cats. Some of the biggest culprits include:
- raw meat scraps
- grapes and raisins
- artificial sweeteners like xylitol
- onions and garlic
- yeast dough
Watch Out for the Decorations
Some of the plants and decorations that you’re using to brighten up the space may be toxic if gnawed on. You don’t have to abandon a great decorating idea, but try to keep these things out of your pets’ reach:
- Christmas trees, if they’re already up
- other decorations like electric lights, candles, or tinsel
Get a Patio Pet Door for Sliding Glass Doors & Screens
If you have a shy pet, he or she may appreciate getting a little privacy from all these unfamiliar guests. A cat door for sliding glass door frames lets your kitty get a breather and come back in when they’re ready. What if your furry friend isn’t feline? You can also get a doggie door for sliding glass door frames.
Practice Good Pet Door Safety
Properly installed, pet doors are very safe. However, before putting one to the holiday test, make sure to check it out first. Does it swing open and closed smoothly? Are there any bits or screws that poke out? Fix these issues before the big day.
- Yard Safety Matters, Too
- Will your pet be going through their door into a secure space? Check that:
- your fence has no holes
- the gate latches securely
- there’s no piles of stuff that could be knocked over
- nothing’s lying around that might be dangerous
If it’s going to be cold over Thanksgiving, you may want to create a little pet house or sheltered nook. Lay out your pet’s bedding or a blanket so they can unwind while staying warm.
Patio Pet Doors for Dogs and Cats in Utah
A key part of pet door safety is a quality door, properly installed. At Pet Door Products, you’ll be able to find the right patio pet door for sliding glass doors & screens around your home. We also offer installation services throughout the Salt Lake City, Utah region. Contact us today to learn more and get a free quote.
- The Best Dog Door Sliding Door Option in the United States that Solves Your Pet’s Outdoor Access Dilemma - September 15, 2023
- Revamp Your Home this Summer: Incorporate a Dog Door into Your Sliding Glass Door - September 4, 2023
- July Special: Avoid the Middleman Markup with Custom Built Glass Door Doggie Doors - July 24, 2023