Your pet is a member of your family and you have worked hard to find the perfect pet door for him or her. You have taken the time to research the brands, find the right size, and even installed it on your own. Just a few days after it has arrived, your pet has already chewed it to pieces! How did this happen so quickly? It is important for you to understand some of the most common reasons why pets chew on doggy doors. Then, you can prevent this from happening.
The Most Common Reasons Why Pets Chew on Doggy Doors
There are a few common reasons why pets end up chewing on doggy doors. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Pets often chew on a pet door due to boredom. Pets are a great way to allow pets to come and go; however, this isn’t going to help them get their energy out! Try to make sure pets exercise to keep them from getting bored.
- Next, pets often work out just to get the attention of their owners! They love them and want to spend time with them. This is a bigger problem with puppies who might not yet be trained.
- Finally, pets are also prone to suffering from separation anxiety. If this is the case, pets often display more destructive behavior than just the doggy door; however, this is one of the common targets.
These are a few of the most common reasons why pets chew on pet doors. What are some of the ways to prevent this from happening?
Tips for Preventing Pets from Chewing on Pet Doors
If your pet is prone to destroying pet doors soon after they arrive. These are a few ways that you can prevent your pet from chewing on the pet door flap. These include:
- Spray: While the pet door flap material probably doesn’t taste very good, you can make it even less appetizing with a special spray. While these come in all sorts of disgusting flavors, one of the top ones you can choose is a bitter apple spray.
- Toys: Think about providing your pet with something else to chew on! Give him or her a few other toys that he or she can use to stay busy. This will distract your pet from the pet door.
- Correction: If you see your pet chewing on the pet door, try to stop him or her in the act! Use a verbal correction only when you see it happening. It might be frustrating to not be able to do anything when the door is torn to shreds; however, it is already too late. Pets will not associate these shreds with any form of punishment.
These are a few of the top ways that you can stop your dog chewing door flap.
Trust Pet Door Products for All of Your Dog Door Needs
These are a few of the ways that you can prevent dog chewing on your doggie door. If you are looking for a pet door, look no further than Pet Door Products! We are made in the USA and provide a 15-year product warranty! Contact us today to learn more about how we can provide you and your pet with more freedom!
- Secret to a Perfect Doggie Door - August 7, 2020
- How to Prevent Your Pet from Chewing on Your Doggy Door Flap - July 7, 2020
- Pet Owner 101: Training Your Pet to Use a Puppy Door - June 9, 2020